I got an error this morning when I went to access my sharepoint site that read as follows:
Web Part Error: One of the properties of the Web Part has an incorrect format. Windows SharePoint Services cannot deserialize the Web Part. Check the format of the properties and try again.
I checked Microsoft’s website and found this article, pertaining to temp files and IIS log file directory permissions, which was not the answer.
It was apparent after I logged into the server that I was completely out of disk space. Drilling down using diruse.exe, it turned out to be the SQL server directory, particularly, the Sharepoint_Config log file, which was huge in size:
So I needed to shrink the log file, so I fired up SQL Server Management Studio (which wouldn’t load until I cleared out some temp files). right click the Sharepoint_Config Database, and click new query:
And now my Web Parts work again.